Due to the high level of complaints by prospective corps members that they were not able to capture their biometrics fingerprints, NYSC have finally decided to emulate JAMB by introducing a bio-metrics desktop client that lets you take your fingerprints capture without using the browser.
Prior this time, NYSC registration had always been solely dependent on the web browser, from the sign up stage to the biometrics capturing and to the completion of the registration, all of this is done with the aid of a web browser.
However, the most challenging of all of the registration process for prospective corps members and for cyber cafes who are responsible for registering the the prospective corpers is the fingerprinting stage of the registration.
In one of my previous articles, I had given a step by step solution to solving error com.digitalpersona.onetouch.jni.JniException, the most common error faced by cyber cafe owners during online registrations that requires biometrics capturing like NYSC, JAMB, WAEC, NECO and NABTEB.
JAMB on it’s part have regularly tried to find solution to this problem by given users alternative ways of taking fingerprints during registration by proving offline options for biometrics. And this has really helped improved the JAMB registration process because the percentage of those who uses the web client for biometrics capturing have reduced significantly.
WAEC and NABTEB on the other hand too have completely moved away from from using the web client for fingerprints capturing even though it is the most secure and reliable way for users. They have moved to native windows applications for handling data capturing which can be done offline as in the case of WAEC.
NYSC and NECO still rely solely on the browser based web client for fingerprints biometrics capture. Until today when NYSC opened it’s portal for the registration of 2016 Batch B prospective corps members, and behold, the Desktop Client was made available.
How to Install NYSC Biometrics Desktop Client for Windows
To install NYSC Biometrics Desktop Client for Windows, simply follow the steps below;
2. Download and Install the Pre-requisites biometrics driver installer for your operating system
3. Click on install to download the setup.exe file. Run the downloaded file on your PC and follow the installation guide to the end.
4. Reboot Your PC.
If all the steps where followed correctly, you should be now see a new icon on your desktop with the name NYSC Biometrics Capture. Double click on this icon to lauch the software and start using.
Fixing Common Errors during Installation
If you encounter any error during installation the possible cause might be;
- You are not connected to the Internet (Internet Connection is required to run this installation). Also ensure you are not using any form of proxy software for your connection. And your internet connection is not using any special IP configuration.
- You did not install the pre-requisite software for your Windows version. (Download the 32 or 64 bit version as required by your computer).
- The software is not compatible with your operating system. (The recommended operating system for this software is Windows 7 and above)
How to Use the NYSC Biometrics Desktop Client for Windows
If you have installed the software correctly, now is time for you to use and start enjoying;
- Ensure you have created an account on the NYSC registration portal. Note down the email address and the password used during the sign up process.
- Lauch the NYSC biometrics desktop client on your PC
- Enter your email and password in the software login screen.
- Confirm that the name showing on the software portal corresponds with your name.
- Capture your two thumbs ensuring you place the correct thumb on the fingerprint scanner corresponding with your selected option on the software (Left Thumb or Right Thumb).
- After capturing your fingerprints for the first time, capture again for confirmation.
- Save your captured fingerprints.
If you see a success message, congratulations you fingerprints have been captured. Now head over to the main site an continue your application process.
Advantages of NYSC Biometrics Desktop client over the Web Client
Many will ask why should they should go through the stress of installing a native desktop client when they can easily run same application on the browser. If you are a single user registering yourself alone, then I think you should go with the web client.
If you are a cyber cafe or you are into registering many prospective corps members then you might consider going for the desktop client for the following reasons;
- You are saving yourself the time of finding a way to fix the numerous errors that might arise trying to register through the web.
- You do not need to install Java or other run time environment apart from the the UareU scanner driver. Making this quicker and easier to set up.
- You do not need to battle with the security settings that comes with setting up the we client.
- Lastly, it takes less than 2 minutes on average to completely capture one person the desktop biometrics client while it takes over 7 minutes to capture one person on the web client due to numerous security questions that need to be answered.
NYSC have shown to us that they are also advancing when it comes to technology and this is also a clear sign that they listen to the cry of prospective corps members, this is a welcome move that we hope many other bodies will emulate in the nearest future.
We also expect them to add more amazing features to this software in such as student being able to complete the entire registration process without a web browser.
Drop your comments below if you have any difficulty solving this or any related issues with your UareU Digital Persona Scanner